Now is the time for rising fourth-year majors who wish to participate in the distinguished majors program during 2016-2017 to prepare their application. More in formation is at http://french.virginia.edu/undergraduate
Application deadline and important dates:
- Third Year: Application to DMP: April 4, 2016
Announcement of admissions: April 18, 2016
- Fourth Year: First draft of thesis: mid-March, 2017
Requirements for admission to DMP and application materials:
Please send the following two items in one PDF if possible, or in separate documents attached to one email to Kathy Halvorsen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- An overall GPA of 3.4, evidenced by a current college transcript/SIS form.
- A departmental GPA of 3.5 in courses at the 3000 level or above.(evidenced by the same transcript or SIS form)
- A pledged 500-word statement of purpose composed in French.
Please ask your recommenders to send their letters of support to the DUP, Cheryl Krueger (email@example.com).
- Recommendations from 3 members of the UVA French faculty, one of whom may be the intended advisor. (send to Cheryl Krueger- clk6m)
- A letter from a French Department faculty member agreeing to direct the applicant's thesis. (send to Cheryl Krueger -clk6m)
Prospective applicants who will be abroad during application period should contact Director of Undergraduate Studies for further info, before departure if possible.
Required Course Work and Thesis:
The DMP program consists of 36 semester hours. The core is the standard 30-hour major. In addition, the candidate will complete an approved project, normally a substantial paper. The candidate will also take French 4998 (Pre-thesis Tutorial), in which background reading, research, and a thorough working outline of the thesis will be completed under the director's supervision, and French 4999 (Thesis), in which the candidate will, under the director's supervision, draft and revise the work, defined as a 30-50 page study, in French.