Sites at the University of Virginia and in Charlottesville
- The Institute of World Languages at the University of Virginia [http://iwl.virginia.edu/]
- The Language Commons and Language Lab at the University of Virginia [http://languagecommons.as.virginia.edu/]
- The Renaissance in Print [new URL: https://explore.lib.virginia.edu/exhibits/show/renaissance-in-print] : Digital archive of books in the Douglas H. Gordon Collection in the University of Virginia Library, free and accessible to the public via the Internet. This collaborative project of the University of Virginia French Department and the University of Virginia Library was launched with the generous support of the Florence Gould Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- L'Alliance Française de Charlottesville
- La Revue des Livres
- FACE (French American Cultural Exchange)
- FIAF (French Institute Alliance Française)
- Le Figaro
- Le Monde
French Resource Pages
Compiled by members of UVA's French Department:
- Information on teaching assistantships, grants and fellowships in France:
Ambassade de France Aux États Unis
- Alison Levine's writing and grammar practice website, A Vos Plumes!: http://avosplumes.org
Study and Work Abroad Websites
(Most of the links and information below are courtesy of Transitions Abroad magazine.)
Worldwide Work and Study Abroad Programs
www.cie.uci.edu/~cie/world. "The World at Your Fingertips," by Ruth Sylte. Not a directory, but an instructional site -- how to use the Internet to research options.
www.embassy.org. The Electronic Embassy (see also www.embpage.org, The Embassy Page). These sites collect the home pages of the embassies of all countries -- many with info about visas, cultural exchanges, etc.
www.iie.org. Institute of International Education. complete info about all Fulbright programs for study and teaching abroad. Also has IIE directories of study abroad and scholarships on-line; full texts available to IIE members only, with password provided by IIE (or works okay with books in hand). Use search terms "internships," "volunteer," etc.
www.miusa.org. Mobility International's guide to education and travel abroad for people with disabilities.
www.studyabroad.com/exp.html. Studyabroad.com is a commercial directory of study and work abroad programs.
www.transitionsabroad.com. Goldmine of directories and first-hand reports on study and work abroad from Transitions Abroad magazine.
Regional Work and Study Abroad
www.africa.upenn.edu African Studies, Univ. of Pennsylvania. Huge number of links. Try search using "internships" or "volunteer abroad."
Short-Term Paid Work Abroad
(See also Worldwide and Internship sections.)
www.ciee.org. Council Work Abroad, one of the largest student work abroad programs, and Council International Volunteer Projects.
www.interexchange.org. InterExchange, a nonprofit work-placement organization with low fees for students and non-students.
www.ifeparis.org/. Internships in Francophone Europe.
www.culturalvistas.org nonprofit with internships (especially technical, hotel, and culinary) in 65+ countries, can also assist with work permits for jobs abroad found by students and graduates. Site is less than easy to use.
www.state.gov/careers/ U.S. State Dept. offers 1,000 internships annually (students who are U.S. citizens); information and application.
www.eslcafe.com. Dave's ESL Cafe, general English teaching information and jobs.
www.iss.edu. International Schools Services (K-12), schools directory and job fairs for K-12 teachers for English-language overseas.
www.state.gov. U.S. State Department's excellent site for teaching abroad most for qualified teachers), located in the "Services" section, "Overseas Schools."
www.interaction.org. Interaction is a clearinghouse for major international development and relief organizations.
www.peacecorps.gov. Peace Corps oficial web site, with information on how to apply to the program that sends the most Americans to work in developing countries.
www.vfp.org. Volunteers for Peace site, with extensive links to other international volunteer organizations.